Raid on TUT.BY: online briefing of the TUT.BY team and Belarusian media experts
On May 18, the Belarusian authorities raided the country's largest independent news portal: conducted searches, detained employees and partners, seized equipment and blocked the TUT.BY website. Yulia Chernyavskaya, the retired widow of portal founder Yuri Zisser, was arrested and subsequently admitted to and discharged from hospital. Her current whereabouts are unknown. This is yet another assault on independent journalism and freedom of expression in Belarus.
What is known about the TUT.by case? What is happening in Belarus regarding journalists and the media environment? What were the detention conditions of TUT.BY journalist Ekaterina Borisevich in prison?
Keynote speakers will be:
- Kirill Voloshin, co-founder of the TUT.by portal
- Ekaterina Borisevich, TUT.by journalist, released from detention on May 19 (she was convicted of publishing materials about the death of a Minsk resident Roman Bondarenko)
- Nadezhda Belokhvostik, editor-in-chief of Media IQ
- Natasha Belikova, Press Club Belarus Projects Coordinator
- Barys Haretski, Deputy Chairman of the Belarusian Association of Journalists
Language: Russian with simultaneous interpretation into English.
On the day of the event, an invitation will be sent to your e-mail address from email@example.com. Please do not forget to check "Spam" and "Promotions" folders.
*** The event is supported by the Press Club Belarus and the Belarus in Focus Information Office.