Press Conference of the Belarusian Sports Solidarity Foundation
Belarusian Sport Solidarity Foundation (BSSF), aimed at protection of the rights of Belarusian athletes invites you to the press conference devoted to the issue of the boycott of the World Ice Hockey Championship in Belarus.
• Aliaksandra Herasimenia, Chairman of BSSF, three-time Olympic medalist
• Aliaksandr Apeikin, Executive Director of BSSF
• Anatol Kotau, Head of BSSF International Department, Chairman of the Ethics Commission of the National Olympic Committee of the Republic of Belarus
The press conference will take place on Thursday, December 17th at 2 PM Minsk time (noon CET).
The agenda of the press conference will include the following issues:
1. Official statement of the BSSF in connection with the plans of the IIHF to host the 2021 IIHF World Championship in Belarus;
2. The position of the IOC regarding the issue of holding sports events in Belarus; the contradiction between the recommendations of the IOC and the latest statements of the representatives of the IIHF;
3. Presentation of the results of the phonoscopic examination confirming that Dmitriy Baskov, the chairman of the Ice Hockey Federation of the Republic of Belarus, member of the Executive Committee of the National Olympic Committee of the Republic of Belarus was at the murder place of Raman Bandarenka on November 12th, 2020, and personally participated in the suppression of the peaceful protests in Belarus.
You will receive an invitation to the indicated e-mail address approximately an hour before the press conference from firstname.lastname@example.org
Belarusian and Russian with simultaneous translation into English
It is worth recalling that on December 1st 2020, the Belarusian Sport Solidarity Foundation sent a statement to the International Ice Hockey Federation demanding bringing Dmitry Baskov, the chairman of the Ice Hockey Federation of the Republic of Belarus, to disciplinary responsibility in connection with actions that grossly discredit the reputation of hockey as a sport. Such actions include, for example, according to the public and the media, the direct involvement of Dmitry Baskov in the murder of Roman Bondarenko, participation in agitation campaigns in support of the Lukashenka’s regime using Olympic symbols, demonstrative drinking of strong alcohol with Olympic symbols in the background and pressure on athletes and employees who express their civic position.
Other international organizations share the concerns of the BSSF. So, the Latvian Ministry of Foreign affairs established a ban for D. Baskov and Dmitry Shakuta on entering the country and Latvian Ice Hockey Federation said that the possible involvement of D. Baskov in repression against civilians is a threat to the reputation of the Hockey Federation of Belarus as well as to hockey as a sport in general. In addition, Finnish parliamentarians began collecting signatures of European ministers responsible for the sports agenda, for boycotting or transferring the Ice Hockey World Championship from Belarus to another country.
It should be noted that, despite numerous appeals to the IIHF, the BSSF did not receive the official statement from the organization, and the recommendations of the IOC were ignored by the international federation. The BSSF considers such a position unacceptable.