Belarus’ Civil Society: Rise or Fall? Expert-Analytical club
March 18, 5 PM Minsk time (3 PM CET)
Pre-registration is required for access, details below.
The last year was extremely turbulent for the civil society in Belarus. It featured the appearance of tens of thousands of volunteers and house-checks of hundreds of activists. There was an explosive growth of new initiatives and local communities against the background of the forced emigration of the experienced activists and leaders of organizations. There were numerous all-time records in crowdfunding and criminal cases for paying fines as “financing protest activities”.
Today’s open questions include:
- What were the main losses of civil society last year, and what were its main successes?
- How has the public image of civic organizations and initiatives changed? Does the smear campaign in the state media affect it?
- Delayed effect: which of the events of the past year will have the greatest impact on the future of civic organizations and initiatives in Belarus?
- Andrej Stryzhak – cofounder of BYSOL solidarity fund and the initiative to help medical workers #ByCovid19;
- Uladzimir Labkovich – representative of Viasna Human Rights Center;
- Stanislava Terentyeva – YMCA Viciebsk, co-leader of zadvizh_ka civil initiative;
- Daria Rublevskaya – ex-member of the council of Belarusian Students’ Association
- Vadim Mojeiko (BISS)
- Anton Ruliou (Belarus in Focus Information Office/Press Club Belarus)
Working languages: Belarusian, Russian with simultaneous interpretation into English.
We invite analysts, international journalists, employees of the foreign ministries, representatives of civil organizations who are interested in what is happening in Belarus to participate.
Video recording is envisaged. The Chatham House Rule will apply upon the participant’s prior notice and will be off the record.
How to participate (please note that you will not be able to join the meeting after it starts):
- To join the online discussion, please fill out a Google Form https://forms.gle/vEzaftHRqyXPJ8yD6
- In response, you will receive a link inviting you to join a Zoom meeting (if you do not have Zoom, you may install it on your PC, phone or tablet following the same link. It is free and easy).
- Belarus in Focus Information Office
- Press Club Belarus
- Nashe Mnenie
- Belarusian Institute for Strategic Studies (BISS)